"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit."Galatians 5:25
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Called to Freedom

"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another." galatians5:25-26

It hit me, right between the eyes, that the purpose for seeking how to walk in the Spirit isn't for myself!

Consider what Paul wrote before he tackled the list of fleshly dominance in this letter to the Galatians, "you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.' But if you bite and devour one another, take care lest you be consumed by one another. But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." And from there Paul goes on to tell us how the flesh and the Spirit are in direct opposition.

I must confess that, in the past, it has often been my desire to walk in the Spirit in order to promote me, in order to avoid blundering into sins that involve public humiliation. I wanted to impress others with good "spiritual" qualities so that I wouldn't be judged for having bad ones. The ugly side of flesh is embarrassing, so naturally I wanted to fix it before anyone noticed. That was my problem; I wanted to fix myself naturally, selfishly. Naturally, I become disillusioned with myself and mope in my woes. Naturally, I try to make it someone else's fault. Naturally, I slip into despair at having failed to make any real change in my life. At this point, naturally speaking,  my self will seek to please me, to make me happy. I'll indulge my flesh in order to feel better, because, of course, what I want more than anything is to feel good about myself. I have looked to my flesh to make it both victor and fixer, reformer and comforter. Missing the most opportune moment to crucify my flesh, I now continue to fight this battle from here on under flesh's flag, making whatever "good" I manage to accomplish, whatever "spirituality" I conjure up, all done in flesh's strength. If I have chosen to redeem my flesh by my flesh, I won't find the Spirit trailing along, just off to the side, so that, when I think I've got it together, I can switch over. The Spirit and the flesh do not share the same road. If I'm not crucifying the flesh, I'm not walking in the Spirit.

"We will set up success in Christian work as the aim; the aim is to manifest the glory of God in human life, to live the life hid with Christ in God in human conditions. Our human relationships are the actual conditions in which the ideal life of God is to be exhibited." Oswald Chambers

The evidence of my walk is in my relationships. If I'm not walking in the Spirit, I'm missing God's interest. He is obviously very interested in how I relate to others in the family of God.

"if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him." romans 8:13-17
"And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!'. galatians4:6

The child is free; the slave is not.

When we came before the judge with our daughter to legally adopt her, he charged us to give to her, and likewise, for her to give to us, all the responsibilities that come with being a part of the family. When I received the Spirit, I could say "daddy" to my Heavenly Father. I am an adopted child of God, and with that comes certain responsibilities.
"Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him." 1john5:1

As a member of this family, I am charged to love the other children in it. The freedom to say Abba to God brings with it the freedom to not walk in the flesh, the freedom to suffer, the freedom to serve one another in love.

FREEDOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment