"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit."Galatians 5:25
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

Monday, December 16, 2013

Guidelines for Loving

Are you trying to love someone in the flesh?
It won't work, because flesh only knows "always about me" love, selfish at heart love.

Flesh corrupts and even destroys love.
Think about your relationships in your home, in your church, in your life, and then compare them to this list.
What corrupting influence has flesh had in your relationships?
Are you....
Suspicious,                jealous,
critical,         harsh,
resentful,         dismissive,
intolerant,         gossiping,
competitive, whining,
indifferent,                 bragging,
negative,         insecure,
impatient,         vengeful,
showing partiality, ultra sensitive,
blaming,         feeling self-pity

Do you ever wish that people in your church were more loving, complain about their lack of love?
Have you ever thought about the fact that you are one of those people who aren't loving?
You are part of the problem!
Jesus commanded us to love others, not to be loved.

Who is it that I can’t stand to be around?
Who am I avoiding?
Who do I make fun of with my friends?
Who gives me pleasure when I see them fail?
Who has weakness that I repeat to myself in order to feel superior?
Who am I cutting off because they don't recognize my abilities, because they don't value me enough?
Who am I trying to impress?
Who has something I wish I had?
Who do I stay away from because they aren't popular?
Who has hurt me deeply, and I can't find forgiveness for them?
Who owes me something?
Who tries my patience?
Who do I frequently get angry at and yell at?
Who do I criticize?
Who do I complain about?
Who has let me down?
Who do I never pray for?
Who have I "cut-off" from my concern?
Who do I want to be better than?
Who do I tell myself I could love if they were more loving to me?

Walking in the Spirit is a walk in sacrificial, fruit of the Spirit kind of love. The Lord has placed you with these people to teach you to walk in the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 13 Guidelines for Loving Others
(disclaimer: these guidelines are not meant for self-protection)

Never give up
Care more for others than for yourself
Don’t want what you don’t have
Don’t strut
Don’t have a swelled head
Don't put yourself first
Don’t fly off the handle
Don’t keep track of the sins of others
Don’t revel when others grovel
Take pleasure in the flowering of truth
Put up with anything
Trust God always
Always look for the best
Never look back
Keep going to the end
Be Kind
Be Patient
Never be jealous
Never boast
Never be proud
Never be rude
Never be selfish
Don't be quick tempered
Don’t keep a record of wrongs that others do
Rejoice in the truth, but not in evil
Always be supportive
Always be loyal
Always be hopeful
Always be trusting
Never fail the other person
Don’t demand your own way
Don't be irritable
Never be glad about injustice
Rejoice whenever the truth wins out
Never lose faith
Endure through every circumstance
Don't be arrogant
Don't be resentful
Bear all things
Believe all things
Hope all things
Endure all things
Don't be a show-off
Don't be conceited
Don't be self-seeking
Don't be easily irritated
Don't fret
Don't pay attention to an offense
Bear up under anything and everything that comes
Be ever ready to believe the best of every person
Never let hope fade
Endure everything without weakening
Don't get easily angered
Don't delight in evil
Always protect others
Always persevere
Don't brag
Don't let yourself be provoked
Don't get so upset with others
Patiently accept all things


Guidelines compiled from 
New Century Version
The Message
New American Standard Version
New International Version
The Amplified Bible
English Standard Version
New Living Translation
Contemporary English Version

No comments:

Post a Comment